U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens (U.S. permanent residents with an I-551) may apply for certain types of grants and federal aid to assist with costs of earning an education. For students who qualify, more information about specific forms of financial aid for qualified U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens (U.S. permanent residents with an I-551) can be found on this page.
For international students applying to SIU’s Tampa Campus, after all documents are received and evaluated, an I-20 form will be processed and mailed out along with the University’s Conditional Acceptance Letter to the student. The I-20 is a government form that informs the U.S. Government that one is eligible for F-1 Student Status.
Financial awards for international students may vary across campuses. Please contact the Financial Aid Department at your respective campus for more detailed information about financial awards at your intended campus at the time of application.
U.S. Federal Financial Aid
The U.S. Department of Education’s federal financial aid programs are the largest source of student aid in America, providing nearly 70% of all student financial aid. Help is available to make education beyond high school financially possible.
Financial aid is available for students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens (U.S. permanent residents with an I-551). Aid may cover school expenses including tuition and fees, room and board, books, supplies and transportation. A list of federal financial aid programs is available on the U.S. Department of Education Student Aid website under “Federal Student Aid Programs.” The three most common types of aid are grants, loans and work-study and are granted on a financial-need basis.
Grant programs include
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
- Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
Once you have determined if you qualify for any of the above-listed federal grants, you may begin applying for Federal financial aid. Federal financial aid comes in the form of student loans that you repay once you have completed your program or are no longer enrolled in college courses.
Steps to receiving Federal Financial Aid
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov (Our school code is 023141).
- After you have submitted your online FAFSA application, you may begin your application for Stafford and or PLUS loans by completing the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note for your desired degree.
- A Schiller International University Financial Aid Adviser will contact you to request any additional documents needed and provide an estimate of what you qualify for.
- Once your financial aid documents are received and verified for completion, then you will be notified.
Private loans are available to students who do not qualify for other types of financial assistance or who wish to defray educationally-related costs in excess of financial aid received from federal, state or other sources. Private loans are available to U.S. citizens, eligible non-citizens and also international students, at the discretion of the lender.
Some lenders will approve loans only to credit-worthy U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, while others will approve loans for international students, provided they have a co-signer who is a credit-worthy U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
Private loan programs are not affiliated with any federal financial assistance programs and are, therefore, generally more expensive. Approval of a private student loan application is based on creditworthiness, including debt-to-income ratio and credit history.
For more information about private loans, alternate lenders, and the application process, please visit Elm Resources.
Veterans Affairs Education Benefits
Schiller International University is approved for veterans training programs. Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits are designed to provide eligible individuals with an opportunity for educational growth. It is certainly one of the most valuable benefits afforded to veterans and qualifying dependents and should be wisely utilized.
To apply for Veteran Education benefits, please follow the steps below:
1. Apply for benefits online at http://www.gibill.va.gov/
- New students who have never used their education benefits, fill out the VA form 22-1990.
- Transfer students who have used their benefits, fill out the VA Change of Place of Training form 22-5495.
2. Send a copy of the VA 22-1990 Application Form, Certificate of Eligibility, and a copy of your DD 214, to the Financial Aid/Veterans Services Office at:
Schiller International University
400 N. Tampa St. Suite 1700 Tampa, FL 33602
+1 (877) 298 - 9078
3. The Financial Aid/Veterans Services Office will electronically certify your enrollment online with the Government VA Department (processing time is currently running about 30 days).
4. It is your responsibility to notify the Financial Aid/Veterans Services Office if you drop a class, fail or withdraw from all classes or graduate.
All changes made after the initial applications or certifications are forwarded to the Atlanta Regional Office and should be brought to the attention of the Veterans Affairs Office so the change can be reported. The most common changes include:
- Change in status of dependents
- Change of address
- Change in major
- Changes in credit hours
- Withdrawal from school
- Anticipated change in place of training
Failure to report changes may result in over or underpayment of VA benefits and it is the sole responsibility of a veteran to report changes. Changes may be reported to the Veterans Affairs Office in person or by telephone. Periodic reviews are conducted and changes in schedule are caught, but it is ultimately the students’ responsibility to report these changes before incurring an overpayment or possibly an underpayment.
Start your career at Schiller International University now!
Do not wait any longer! Contact our Admissions Team for further details. We will be happy to help you achieve your goals.