Heidelberg Visa and Formalities

VISA – Residence permit

Students from the European Union and Switzerland do not need a student visa or a residence permit to study or work in Germany.

Students from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea or the United States, do not need a student visa. However, once they have arrived in Germany and have enrolled for classes, they must apply for a residence permit. Information about this process is provided at the orientation or during the registration process at SIU. Exceptions may also apply to nationals from Andorra, Brasil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco & San Marino.

All other nationals must apply for a student visa at the German embassy or consulate in their country of residence. Upon arrival in Germany they are required to apply for a residence permit as well.

The most accurate information on procedure is available on German embassy websites in each country. The following are general guidelines that may vary:

  • To apply, you need the official acceptance letter mailed to you by the Heidelberg Admissions Office.
  • You must also show that you have the financial means (currently 720 Euros per month) to live and study in Germany. The embassy may also request proof that you have paid your study fees in full. Comprehensive health insurance coverage is also required.
  • Your visa application is forwarded by the embassy / consulate to the local Heidelberg Immigration Office for approval. The embassy then makes the final decision.

Please note that a short stay/ tourist visa can not be changed to the required student visa.

You can find further information about visa regulations on the homepage of the Federal Foreign Office.


All students get a Schiller ID card at the time of registration.

Students are required to have their ID  with them at all times whilst on campus.

In addition, a the ID card can be used for reduced entry into museums, swimming pools, soccer stadiums etc. where applicable.